18 Apr 2011

Playing Mummy & Daddy

Well this weekend Hubby and I played Mummy and Daddy and No we didn't sit at the table pretending to drink tea why I held a doll in my arms like we did when we were 3. But there was a 3 year old involved.

See from 3:30pm Friday afternoon to 11am Sunday we looked after Hubbies 3 year old niece, C.
We had looked after her overnight when she was a baby but that was 2 years ago. So we were both super excited to have her. Hubby was probably more excited as he had told me on Thursday that he had all this stuff planned.

Friday afternoon I picked C up and then we drove into the city and picked Hubby up from work. C asked if we had swings at our house, as she had never been there. We replied "No". So we decided to take her to the park for the afternoon. It was nice pushing her on the swings and watching her go down the slide. We even bumped into one for her friends with her Mum who I had meet a number of time. So we had a little chat why the kids played. Then it was getting dark and late so we decided to head home and thought we might just get some takeaway on the way home. So I asked C what she wanted and she replyed. "Quack, quack." Luckly the other girls mother was still in the car park and I asked her what "quack, quack" was. She said that's C name for Macs. Who know why it's quack quacks. But we went anyway. After dinner we watched a kids movie and I pretend to be scared and she kept covering me with a blacket and telling when to look and when to cover my head. So cute! Then Hubby read her a story and then it was bed time. But she didn't want to sleep in our spare bed with pretty pink sheets. No she wanted to sleep on our bedroom floor on a tiny cot mattress that her feet hung over. Anyway, she ended up coming up onto our bed twice during the night but I managed to get her back onto the mattress. Then in the morning we both looked at each other and said. It's too early. But we got up anyway. As I was getting dressed to go out for the day, C came in and I couldn't help doing her hair and giving her some lip gloss. We then headed to the museum and the science center. She had heaps of fun but did get scared by a few things. Then after lunch we headed home. Due to the fact I had to work for a few hours that night and the fact that C looked tired. We both curled up and had a nap. Then I left for work, why Hubby was left to play Daddy by himself.

When I got home at 11pm. She was on the mattress but not asleep. Hubby said that he went to his Mum's for dinner and bathed her there and got home and she wanted to watch a movie and it had only just finished. Hummmm!

Anyway she was asleep by the time I had got out of the shower and then up at 5 the next morning. I managed to convice her to try to go back to sleep. She did for another hour. We then had a lovely breakfast together and then we took her home to her parents.

We sure did learn a lot about each other and it was lovely to have her here but Hubby and me were tired and ready to give her back. Although when we did get home we both felt the house had a quietness to it. But I guess that is a reality of Infertility.

3 comments:

  1. I totally hear you!! I had my two nephews all day yesterday and it was great (altho I was happy to hand them back!!). Afterwards I was in a right old funk with the whole infertility thing. the house was clean and tidy and looked lovely but I would have traded anything for vegemite stains on the walls and toys scattered everywhere.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you did a fab job Jill - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I come and stay at your place and have some 'quack quack'!! I bet C will want to come and stay every weekend now!

    ReplyDelete