28 Apr 2011

Faces!

During this Infertility Journey I have meet some wonderful people over the net. Some people I have been in contact with for short periods of time and some a little longer. But the strange thing is,  some of them I have never even seen their faces. I of course have invented images in my head of what they look like and after later seeing some photo's those images changed. But I still visilise them in my head.

As you may or may not be aware, I'm one of the anti-FB people. It's not that I care if people are on. (My Hubby is.) I'm just not interested and I do see a lot of trouble that it causes. See I am a very open person in life. If someone asked if we have kids. I tell them the whole story. (The short version) I don't have secrets and I always try to be truthful. Therefore I feel that FB and me wouldn't get along. Hubby never write anything serious and not too offen. He normally writes movie quotes, song lines and if he does write something personal, it's only something special. I on the other hand have never joined but I know if I did, I would end up saying something that I shouldn't had and not being able to take it back.

However I do sometimes feel this pull to join. Not to see peoples faces but to contact people that I was friends with in real life. I had a special friend who I knew for 3 years and now she is in the UK. We started emailing for the first few months then the time got longer and now it been months. I remember her asking me to join FB before she left, so we could keep in touch. I of course objected and now 1.5 years later. I feel I have lost the friendship. It may have happened anyway but I do wonder, If I had joined FB would it have changed things? I'm not the type of person to do something because my friends tell me too. That was what my hubby liked most about me in high school. I did what I wanted and not what my friends wanted. He respected that and I do too. So many people have begged me to join, everyone in my life under 40 and even my 54 year old mum has one. So why don't I want to join. Am I just being stubborn and don't want to give in to the pressure and say I was wrong. Or is it just another thing I don't need in my life.

I guess the internet scares me sometimes. I worry if I paste a photo on the net that it could be photo shopped or my words changed. I feel comfort in being an ANYBODY on here. I'm know as Jill (which is my real name, well Jillian but everyone calls me Jill) But I can be anyone and say anything. No one in my real life know about this blog. (Except Hubby but he doesn't read it.) I have freedom and you know what.........I love it.

7 comments:

  1. Jill you are not alone. I am anti FB too. And my partner is also the same. I miss out on alot of updates from friends, like when they fart, or take the garbage out, or if the eat a sausage roll. Im not sure people realise how serious ID takeover is. People announce they are 21 on a certain day, then there is your dob. In my job we use FB as an investigative tool. We keep alot private, and if you want to know how I am, then bloody ring me and meet me for a coffee or a wine.

    I do have friends that cut and paste FB stuff to me if there is any riffs in our mothers group etc. And Ive seen things turn nasty. And as you pointed out, I say if something stinks, so I think Id only get myself in trouble. And, who needs to be on the WWW more than we already are. I find that keeping up with blogging is really hard. FB is addictive, and my friends husband has made her delete the link off her iPhone, as he said she was always on it.

    How did we survive as kids with only landline phones and we'd meet at a certain spot on our bushbikes? We survived well, and no one was ever late.... hhhmmmmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for writing a blog entry on your blog! And if you want to see my face, on the right hand side of my blog, there is a list of popular blogs, and one is titled "Captain Pisshead" with a pic of me in fine form...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's absolutely fair enough if you don't want to join FB and no one should be trying to make you! As Tee said you should still be able to make contact outside of it! I joined a couple of years ago and in truth I enjoy it, but I don't post particularly private stuff on there and I'm quite careful-for instance if G goes away I never ever mention it on FB as I don't want people to know I'm home alone!
    You're so right about the freedom of being anonymous on your blog-I've been quite picky about who I've told about mine too for that reason:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the support girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saw your photo Tee. Classic! I remember your pic on BC. So I know kind of what you look like. You never know I might be brave and post a photo one day. I'm sure I look different to what you all think?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stay away from FACEBOOK it only causes heart ache in the end! The worse thing about facebook is hearing about all the lovely things that Ants makes and not being able to taste them. poo poo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha - I agree Chon, Ants always has status updates about scrumptious food she is making and baking! Hehe. I value FB but that's because so many of my friends and family are overseas or from out of town and I honestly think if I didn't have it then I would be feeling pretty lonely as it's great gateway for communication with the outside world when you live in a little bubble of suburban life while everyone else lives out their travels 7 years later than you did. And I've been lucky enough to avoid any drama. Each to their own though and it's entirely your decision so you shouldn't let people pressure you!

    ReplyDelete