I have been thinking alot about BPA lately. For those of you not aware of what it is I will explain. It is a chemical used in plastic to make it strong. (sort of) Click Here for great explanation. Anyway there has been research done that have provided evidence that it is harmful. Countries like Canada have banded it. However unfortunately Australia isn't one of them. Now the most common use for BPA is baby bottle. (Now you understand where my interest has come from.) Now most baby bottle companies are only producing BPA free bottle however there is still cheap bottle that are not BPA free on the market. Scary!!! Also it doesn't just stop at baby bottles. There are plastic containers ect being sold that are made with BPA and the packaging of these kinds of products are not as clear cut.
My plan for this baby is to b00by feed. But I do want some bottles as back up. I looked at the plastic ones and thought if scientist are only now discovering that BPA is bad, then what other chemical are in these plastic bottles that we don't know about yet. Therefore I started researching alternatives to plastic. Which were glass or stainless steal. So considering my clumsiness, hubby and I did our research and have decided on stainless steel. Click Here to read about them.
However my research hasn't stopped there. I have now become plastic obsessed. I have started looking at all the plastic in my kitchen and trying to work out what is what. Now I am a Tupperware whore. I love the stuff, however now I am looking at it and thinking twice. Now for anyone who has brought Tupperware you will know it is not cheap stuff and I practically have shares in the stuff. Now with very little info on the actual product, I decided to give them a little ring. They were not as helpful as I would have expected.
I called and told them I wanted to check if any of my stuff had BPA in it. She said the "microwave" container brought prior the the current catalogue were BPA. WTF!!! I then said, "Your kidding me, are you going to replace them with BPA free ones." she replied with a firm no and said if I use them as recommended then they are fine. Arr NO! The research is clear that it is NOT safe to Microwave BPA products as it makes it leach out. Hence why baby bottle are such a concern. She then brushed me off and told me about This section of the web site where it will tell me the info about BPA. What it refers to are the recycling codes (triangles with a number inside, on the bottom of most plastic product.) Now codes 1, 2, 4 & 5 are OK. 3 & 6 should be avoided and 7 is BPA. However the list on there site is only for their current product list not my products. (1 to 7 years old) So what do I do. First of all I'm never buying tupperware again. This is one very loyal customer they have lost. Second is I'm going to stop giving hubby and sometimes me, left over dinners for lunch in those, "microwave safe bowls" HA! I tell you where their going. (Give you a clue, rhymes with tin) I'm still going to check my pantry containers with the lovely (Choke) customer service ppl. Then if that is all fine. Then I will go and buy some new glass bowls for Hubbies lunches.
The thing that upsets me the most is that you put your trust in these big companies and pay top dollar for their product thinking you have invested well. Then you realise that they are not what you thought they were. Also what worries me is that there are so many people out there using these plastic product that are not even aware of what they are doing. If Australia doesn't ban BPA then what will the future hold for our future generations? In my mothers childhood there was very little plastic and nothing was wasted. We live in a world of plastic now and are a throw away society.
SAD:(
Oh Jill, it's only natural that your protective mother instinct is kicking in, but don't send youself insane! It happened to a mum in my mthers group (who I might add is a preschool teacher), she got that paranoid she never left the house in case she got bird flu, and won't send her kids to daycare in case their cotton wool falls off. We are all fine, and we grew up without nets around our trampolines.
ReplyDeleteAnd there is no way I'm throwing out tupperware!
Tee- apparently it is common for women who took a long time to fall to be over protective. I am the kind of person that has old fashion values. I believe children should play in the mud and chew leafs. But I'm really funny about safety. It in my nature. I don't want to be one of those parents to roll them in cotton wool but I also want to protect them. It must be the mother instinct coming out.
ReplyDelete