I have worked in childcare since I was a teenager. (12 years) I have changed well over 10,000 nappies, assisted with toilet trained a large number of children, written thousands of observations, read heaps of articles and even done 2 years of formal study in early childhood. I have done a total of 18 months in a nursery room and all the rest was either with the 2 to 4 age bracket or with multi age. I also do heaps of babysitting for both my work kids and my family members. I consider myself a professional early childhood educator.
However I feel there is this pressure from people who keep say that it will be a easy for me to be a mum as I have worked in childcare for so long. I know that I have a lot of experience and tasks like nappy changing will be a walk in the park but I never really looked after a newborn, except of a few hour with my sister and I really don't know what to do. I don't know anything about breastfeeding, I don't really know how I will go with not having a full night sleep and I don't really know a lot about new born development. Now I know most new mum's would be feeling this way however I feel like some people in my life are putting this pressure on me already that they assume I'm a professional and will find this easy. It feels like they have put high expectations on me. I have said to these people that I may be good at my career but having a new born 24/7 is totally different. If I have had a hard day at work I can go home relax and forget about it. If you have a bad night with a baby, well they are still there 2 hours later. Now don't get me wrong I'm really am excited about having a baby and I'm looking forward to the challenge it brings but just because I'm a early childhood professional doesn't mean I won't need help and support like all other new mum.
As you know I have been caring for children for over 10 years, but I also have no idea how tough or easy Ill find it being a mum, there is some pressure for me to know everything.
ReplyDeleteWhy does society do that put pressure on people...why do they just assume? I agree it would not be the same as working in childcare...I mean you have had a wealth of knowledge about kids but not the experience of sleepless nights, breast feeding...I have had lots of nephews and nieces around me and other peoples kids and I know I am definately not prepared for when baby arrives nothing can prepare you for your first baby because you wont know what its like until you experience it first hand but maybe I might call on your expertise when I need it...
ReplyDelete